Friday, December 2, 2011

Hidden Candy

 

One afternoon a few weeks ago I was cleaning up in the kids room. I decided to make the beds neatly. When I came to Sarah’s bed and pulled back the covers I found this…

007

I stood there for a minute and chuckled to myself. At the moment I had these delicious Reese's pieces in a candy jar in my kitchen. At some point in the day Sarah must have helped herself to some and gave it great thought.

I am sure her thoughts went something like this…

ummm  where should I hide this candy?

I know I can’t eat it all now… I would surely get a belly ache ( I drill my kids about this and now they fear lots of candy intake at on time )

How about in my bed? Then I can eat it at night. Mom will not see it there.

and so it was decided.

To hide the candy in bed.

I guess she also decided to take it all. And now what to do with the empty jar?

I can’t put it back on the counter or Mom will see it empty.

Oh where should I put it??

hey, I have a great idea, I will put it here…

 

009

in the corner of Chadwin’s room. Mom will never find it there!

and so it was done.

The candy was tucked in bed and the jar was hidden.

Anticipation for bedtime.

But the dream was shattered that afternoon all because Mom made the beds.

I nicely cleaned up the hidden candy, made the bed and also anticipated bedtime.

 

Bedtime came.

 

She hunted around in her bed for a moment. Not a word was spoken about it.

I then said, “ Sarah, you have been so good today that Momma just wants to bless you with some of her candy” 

her eyes opened with excitement!

“I will go get you some of my Reese's pieces OK?”

I proceed to the kitchen thinking now what do I do?

I came back to her bed in despair and told her that my candy jar was missing. Where could it be?

She frantically hunted around under her covers once again.

“What are you looking for?” I asked

“Oh nothing” she said

“well then I suppose there isn’t any candy to give you after all tonight. I am really sorry! Do you know at all where it might be?”

A torn apart expression came across her face. I am feeling a little mean by now but loving the game!!  haha

“No” she said

Of course they are going to lie. Kids will do this. Not necessary a bad thing. We would do it too if someone played with our game. Of course it is always great opportunity for teaching the importance of honesty but in this case I lied too. It is not fair to punish one of a deed done that you yourself have committed as well.

All of these thoughts and more crossed my mind in an instant.

I bent over and hugged her tight and chuckled and said, “Momma found the candy you hid in your bed.”

We giggled together and she exploded with words of how it was all done and the mystery of it disappearing!!

We talked.

and talked

and then I gave her some Reese's pieces.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kathy, Your blogs make me smile and giggle. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to teach your kids that dishonesty usually bites you in the butt, but also to confide in their mom and trust her judgment rather than try to hide stuff from her...
    Love it!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are the best mom in the world can i be reborn and come back as your daughter??? sigh oh well maybe in my next life.....but i love how you raise your kids you are my inspiration...love you tons so happy to take the journey of motherhood with you by my side:)

    ReplyDelete

Music Player